See these yummy treats...they are really easy to make. Living in the country, sometimes in between grocery runs, I am told by the kids that we have "nothing good to eat around here." Have you heard that before?! Well, these treats are so easy to make, and most generally, you will have the ingredients on hand...here's the recipe:
Saltine Toffee Crackers a/k/a Bribe Bars
• 1.5 sleeves of saltine crackers
• 1 stick (4 oz) butter
• 1 cup packed brown sugar
• 2 cups chocolate chips
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with Parchment Paper
2. Arrange the crackers in a single layer on a baking sheet so that there are no empty spaces in between them.
3. Place the butter and brown sugar in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir while the butter melts, and bring the mixture to a rolling boil. Once boiling, carefully pour the sugar-butter mixture over the crackers on the baking sheet in an even layer, trying to cover most of the crackers. If you miss some spots, don’t worry as the toffee will spread in the oven.
4. Bake for five minutes, until the toffee is bubbling all over. Carefully remove the pan from the oven and allow to cool for one minute.
5. Sprinkle the chocolate chips on top of the hot toffee, and allow them to sit for one minute to soften and melt. Once softened, use a spatula or knife to spread the melted chocolate over the entire surface of the toffee in an even layer.
6. Refrigerate the pan to set the toffee and chocolate for about 30 minutes. Once set, break into small uneven pieces by hand, and enjoy! You can store the uneaten saltine toffee in an airtight container for up to a week - If they last that long!!! :)
This recipe also works really well when you need to motivate/bribe. The other day, the kids, who live in the upstairs level...needed to do some housework. I hadn't been up there for awhile, and when I did, well, let's just say I was a bit shocked. SO...I told them if they got everything cleaned up - "company-cleaned standards" then I'd make them these yummy treats...It worked! Within an hour or so, everything was looking pretty good!!
So, whether you need to do a little bribing or there's "nothing good to eat in the house" these treats are your ticket!! Enjoy!