Overcoming a Childhood Fear

I am sure many of you have stories of childhood fears…mine (Donna) was the pressure cooker!! I grew up in a family of 8 kids…the dinner hour was always a sacred time, so many happy memories have been shared around the dinner table. However one particular day, back in the 1970's, all the kids were seated in our mom’s fancy avocado green kitchen in our very fashionable booth-like table . Our littlest brother was situated in his highchair at the end where our parents sat. Mom was just finishing up some vegetables in the pressure cooker when something malfunctioned -- our dad started hollering for us kids to "get out of the kitchen!!" Can you imagine 7 panicked kids trying to get out of that fashionable “booth” seating all at the same time?! In looking back, I am sure it was pretty hysterical!! All the while, Dad picking up our little brother in his high chair and hoisting him “high chair and all” down the hallway!! Thankfully, everything turned out just fine…and I am not really sure what happened with the pressure cooker, but from that moment on,  I knew I never wanted to use one.

So what does my mom do??? She gives me a pressure cooker for Christmas about 10 years ago. "Wow, thanks Mom! Just what I've always wanted!" (NOT! ha-ha) I didn’t have the heart to tell her I was scared of it…so it sat on a basement shelf ever since!

 
When my parents came for a visit this past weekend… I decided it was time to conquer that childhood fear and asked my mom to give me a Pressure Cooker 101 Course!! I am happy to say that I passed with flying colors...and I am no longer scared of this contraption!! Thinking now how wonderful it will be to use for chicken salads!!

Here’s a picture of my shiney new, 10 year old, cooker!!


THANKS MOM!!


Comments

  1. Funny story. Mom's are great and I'm glad you passed your cooking class. No food on the ceiling. Thanks for the smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Donna! I have a fear of them too. My aunt use to can in them all the time and once the lid flew off and applesauce flew all over the kitchen burning my cousin. Maybe I shouldn't be telling you this, as your fear has been conquered. My daughter actually asked for one for Christmas one year, but I didn't buy it because of my fear. Maybe I need to have someone come and teach me how to use one properly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love using pressure cookers. The make the meat really tender. That is one shiny beauty! Enjoy using it...Christine

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday to Princess Diana!

Last of the Summer Rose: Rose Ice Cream Recipe

Teacup Thursday: "A Cup of Christmas Tea"